Contributors

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Latest News

So, been a while since I blogged, things have been crazy here with health issues, financial changes and in general being busy with the kids and summer.

We have our 3 containers of water filled now.  I am slowly stocking up on other necessities, we have sugar, Sugar leaf that I got for a good deal in bulk, some fruit dried, nuts, coconut flour, raisins and other shelf stable stuff that I come across in my shopping journey. We discovered that blueberries make really good fruit leather that needs almost no sugar, we bought 20 lbs and froze about 15 lbs and made the rest into fruit leather.  Five lbs of berries makes very little leather!  We will need to remember to eat it sparingly. 

We are still dealing with the special diet issues and finding ways to store food to eat with no wheat, corn, oats or other grains.  I did buy some dried buttermilk and am looking into butter powder although I know that has to be used within 6 months or so.  I think the easiest way to use that will be to start cooking with it.  Will still rely primarily on frozen food storage, which is good for a few day or until it all starts thawing.  I figure if that happens we will have a great big BBQ and cook all the meat we can.  we would like to get some kind of portable generator as well, and with that we could actually take a few days to dry everything we have frozen for a bit longer storage.

Our biggest problem right now is that our storage room turned into a complete disaster very quickly and we need to reorganize it again so that I can get in there and keep the food rotated and organized.  the nice shelving unit we bought it already full.  I think we are a bit of pack rats around here.  I am trying to shift that to a prepping type pack rate and get rid of useless stuff we do not need or use.  I revamped our plastic storage container cupboard today and actually store all the container with their lids on them, what a difference that makes when we go to grab a bowl or box to put things in! I plan on bullying my husband into tackling the storage room together this week or next weekend.

We are continuing to make survival bracelets, let me know if you want to purchase any we do special orders and have almost every color there is.  I prefer them as ankle bracelets so we make those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment