Contributors

Monday, February 20, 2012

Baby Steps

So today I cleaned off a few shelves in the revamped "basement" room Brad overhauled yesterday.  We still have a ton of junk to get rid of, some ebay, some freecycle and that will free up more space for some food storage.  We also went to Sam's club and bought some extras to keep on hand.  I got rid of a bunch more books, I find that I really prefer ebooks and if it is hardcover I am not really interested unless it is a reference book or recipe book etc. So the library is getting 6 bags of books as a donation.

Now it is time to look for sales on stuff we can store and use.  We also need to look at water and power solutions. I am buying rechargeable batteries which is just a good household idea anyway.  We also need to get some more non-perishable or shelf stable protein to have enough.  So much of ours is in the freezer.

This is a process when you have to fit it into a normal household budget!  But we are just trying to be smart, like the batteries we need anyway so this time I will just buy the rechargeable instead of spending money on alkaline. And it woudl be good to be prepared for at least 72 hours for the upcoming tornado season.

One goal we did not meet was drying anything last week.  So that means we should probably do 2 batches this week.  I am hoping for some good sales on grass fed beef that we can slice up and make a bunch of beef jerky, I will stop at Whole Foods on Wednesday and see what I can dig up.

All in all I am happy with what we have been able to do, I find myself making wishlists and looking at what everyday items we can move over to smarter items that work better for long term and for our budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment